Note for all members, especially contributors to the Frank A. MacDougall Forest History Trust Fund
In cooperation with the Bushplane Museum in Sault Ste.Marie it was hoped that the exhibit to honour Frank MacDougall would be prepared and available by late this year. However, due to other commitments and a busy season the preparation has been delayed and we now believe that it will be ready for next year.
Although the Fund is in the name of Frank MacDougall it is an ongoing support for projects and activities that can further the knowledge and understanding of Ontario's forest history in all aspects.
Contributions should be made to:
144 Front Street West, Suite 700
NOTE THAT YOU MUST SIGNIFY THAT THE DONATION IS FOR THE FRANK A. MACDOUGALL FOREST HISTORY TRUST FUND. Donations of $25 or more will qualify for a charitable donation tax receipt.
As announced at this year's Annual General Meeting of the Forest History Society of Ontario on February 20, the Frank A. MacDougall Forest History Trust fund has been opened by Forests Ontario ( resulting from the merger of Trees Ontario and the Ontario Forestry Association). The Forest History Society of Ontario is fully supportive of this initiative and asks that members and others interested in supporting the Frank A. MacDougall Forest History Fund make their contributions payable to:
Forests Ontario - 144 Front Street West, Suite 700, Toronto, ON M5J 2L7
Noting that it is for the Frank A.MacDougall Forest History Fund. Forests Ontario will issue a charitable receipt for the amount received.
The purpose of the Fund is to provide financial support for projects and activities that can further the knowledge and understanding of Ontario's forest history in all its aspects. The first project details can be found below.
Frank MacDougall graduated in forestry from the University of Toronto in 1923 and began his career with the Ontario Department of Lands and Forests in Pembroke, then in Sault Ste, Marie from 1926 to 1931. He served as the Superintendent of Algonquin Park from 1931 to 1941 when he was appointed Deputy Minister of the Department and was the longest serving Deputy Minister until his retirement in 1966.
Although publicly he is remembered for his years in Algonquin Park, his contributions to forestry in Ontario included departmental organization on a regional basis, establishment of the Forest Insect Laboratory at Sault Ste. Marie, the Kirkwood Forest, the Forest Ranger School and the Diploma in Resources Management at the University of Toronto.
To honour and celebrate his achievements The Forest History Society of Ontario is planning to establish a memorial to Frank A. McDougall. As part of this project the Society wishes to place memorabilia associated with Lands & Forests forestry activities and programs during this period in a semi-permanent display. The Canadian Heritage Bushplane Museum in Sault Ste. Marie is the proposed location.
Any person who has personal or related items to Mr.MacDougall and his period with Lands & Forests that would consider donating them for consideration in such a display should contact The Forest History Society of Ontario and provide a list and description of the items they could contribute.
Frank A. MacDougall Memorial Project
c/o Forests Ontario
144 Front Street West, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2L7